Tuesday, January 12, 2010

J. David Boyd MD

J. David Boyd died on January 7, 2010 at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He was surrounded by his loving and grateful family.

David was born January 2, 1937 in Highland Park, Illinois to the late Marian Taylor Boyd and Douglas Boyd. He married Nancy Nichols on June 25, 1960. He was a loving and devoted husband.

Educated at Harvard, David received his medical degree from the University of Illinois and completed a residency in Psychiatry at the University of Colorado Medical Center in 1968. He served in the US Army at Ft. Gordon Georgia from 1968 until 1970.

In 1970 David moved with his wife and children to Boulder, Colorado where he maintained a private practice and served as Medical Director of Psychiatric Services at Wardenburg Student Health Center, University of Colorado. In addition to seeing patients he was a clinical professor and supervisor of medical students.

In 1992 David moved to Minneapolis to become Medical Director for United Behavioral Health, Minnesota. These were years of dynamic changes in the delivery of mental health care services and David focused on insuring that patients received the help they needed in an insurance managed health care environment. He joined the Mayo Clinic Psychiatric staff in Rochester, Minnesota in 1998 and retired in 2002. In 2003 he was elected Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.

Long-time summer residents of Fish Creek, Wisconsin, David and Nancy made it their permanent home in 2002. David continued seeing patients on a part-time basis as well as serving as a board member for Door County Community Programs, Sunshine House, JAK's Place, and Door County Environmental Council. He also was a member of the Gibraltar Township Planning Commission. In retirement, he enjoyed many outdoor activities with friends and family. He was always ready for a good conversation, to hear the latest news, and delighted in finding a sense of the absurd in every occasion.

In addition to his wife, David is survived by daughters, Liz Hoswell, Westminster,

Colorado and Katie McGlenn, Madison, Wisconsin; his son, Douglas Boyd, Denver, Colorado; his sister, Ann Boyd, Boulder, Colorado; his grandchildren, Madeline and Sam Hoswell, Boyd, Maggie, and Tess McGlenn; and his sons-in-law, Michael Hoswell and Deven McGlenn; and his sister’s partner, Suzanne Kincaid.

A celebration of David Boyd’s life will he held this summer in Fish Creek, Wisconsin. Please send your stories and memories of David by commenting at this site or by sending them to Nancy Boyd, PO Box Fish Creek, WI 54212.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to Sunshine House, 55 West Yew Street, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 http://www.sunshinehouseinc.org/index.html; the Door County Environmental Council, PO Box 114, Fish Creek WI 54212 http://www.dcec-wi.org/; JAK’s Place 820 Egg Harbor Road, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 http://www.jaks-place.com/




14 comments:

  1. We are very sorry to hear the news. Our best wishes and fond remembrances to the entire family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you terribly. I think I'll have one of your nice bottles of wine in your honor - don't get mad at me :-)

    Love you,

    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the things that I will always remember about David was his love of life. He was always willing to do things, except go fishing with me. I could never get him to do that. I will always cherish the many years of playing tennis on the Clark's court and the past several years playing golf with David. I admired the fact that he took up the difficult game of golf at his age. He wasn't the greatest golfer in the world but he enjoyed being out there just the same. He would never keep score when I played with him, unlike tennis where he would run down every ball he could to win the point . He loved to win at tennis.
    It is ironic that I was reading something entitled "Kind Words" a few days ago. Basically it said that too often we wait until people die before we acknowledge what they meant to our lives. We fail to say we love them until it is too late. I sadly never got a chance to tell David that and never got a chance to say good-bye to my good friend. Katy and I will miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with Nancy and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Dr. Boyd as the father of Elizabeth, my best friend during all of my elementary school years, the cheerful and generous head of the family that welcomed me in their Abbey Place home every day and even once on a vacation to Granny's house in Fish Creek! The love and openness in the Boyd family was so evident to me even as a little girl.
    --Anne Becher

    I loved reading about all the good Dr. Boyd did in his profession life. Elizabeth, Nancy, Katie and Doug--know I'm thinking of you now and will always remember the incredible love and warmth your family shared with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I along with the Board members of the Door County Environmental Council have many fond memories of the years we enjoyed with David on our Board. We could always count on his casual approach to problems we faced and often helped dismiss those problems with him calling attention to the ridicuous nature of those same problems. We will miss him at our meetings and functions and convey our deepest sympathy to his family in this loss of companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God hold you in the palm of his hand during this difficult time. Dr. Boyd was my psychiatrist in his retirement for a few years. I had no idea of his accomplishments as he was a soft spoken, humble man. I will miss waiting on him at the White Gull.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane and Bill BergerJanuary 24, 2010 at 8:27 AM

    Diane and Bill Berger - San Francisco, CA
    Bill has known Dave for many more years then I did. When I married Bill and he introduced me to Dave and Nancy I felt an attachment to them like I've known them for ever. We had a wonderful time with them last year in Carmel and thoses memories will always be with us. Our prayers and thoughts are with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann and Cameron Reid - Boulder COJanuary 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM

    David was an original, one-of-a-kind. He was truly one of the "good guys". I haven't seen David, Nancy or any of the family in much too long but when I heard of David's passing my heart ached. Ann and I are thinking of you all and feeling very blessed to have been able to say your Dad/Husband was our dear friend.
    gcreid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave Boyd was the greatest! We have so many fond memories of time spent with Dave and Nancy.
    Walking, golfing, eating, boating and laughing! We feel glad that we have these great memories to cherish and we will never forget them. We feel honored to have known Dave. We are thinking of you, Nancy,and the rest of your family.
    God Bless, Deb and Dave Cook

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Sharon Vary

    Dearest Nancy, Lizzie, Katie and Doug, We were so so sad to hear of David's death upon our arrival in Boulder earlier this month. He truly was one of my favorite people and working with him at Wardenburg for 8 years was a treat and a pleasure, plus who could forget those staff parties! David had such a quick dry wit--he did not suffer fools, but was kind and generous of spirit. I do remember him trying to weazle his way out of staff meetings by having Will Kamprath page him with an "emergency" just in case he got bored with the bureaucratic minutia! But he also was able to offer so much knowledge and translate complicated theory into manageable and helpful concepts. He was a good dear friend to those he worked with and a true gentleman in the best sense of the word. Mark and I will carry our fond memories with us and toast him with a great bottle of wine. The only time I really believe in heaven is when someone I love dies, so I hope he is greeted with a lot of laughter. Love to you all, Mark and Sharon Vary

    ReplyDelete
  11. My deepest thoughts and prayers go out to Nancy and the rest of the Boyd family. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to work with David over the years as well as have a personal friendship with both David and Nancy. My very fond memories of the many professional and personal experiences will always be with me.

    Scott M. Craven

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Katie, Liz and Douglas,

    I just searched the Internet for your father's name, on a whim, and immediately located the tribute website stating that he passed away back in January. I was a patient of his for almost five years, up until he left Boulder, Colorado for Minnesota in August of 1992. I remember that the reason I selected him to be my psychiatrist was the trivial fact that I am a "J. David" also. Yet, even in that first session, back in January 1988, I realized that he was the psychiatrist for me.

    Learning of his passing was quite a shock. He's been with me as a presence all these years since my therapy ended. The world seems a lonelier place now, knowing he's no longer with us. Even though he was only four years older than me, he was certainly a powerful father figure during my years of therapy. Even now, eighteen years later, not a day goes by that I don't remember something he said to me in way of guidance during my trying time going through midlife. His was a gift that truly does keep on giving. And he most certainly was a gifted therapist. My life would have been much different, if not for him. I have been a much better man and father because of him. His sense of compassion is what I remember most.

    I lost my father back in 1999 and my mother just this past October, but she was 94. Your father was a relatively young man, in my opinion, and I'm sorry he didn't stay longer. I know you are immensely proud of him.

    My thoughts and prayers are with him, you, and your family.

    J. David Sheppard
    http://dshep.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. From his son Douglas Boyd

    One of the Many things that makes me smile when i think about my dad is how his first two initials and my first two initials are reversed, HIS were JDB and mine are DJB, but thats not the only thing that makes me smile, sometimes when i hear a Jim Croce or John Denver song on the radio i can hear my dad in my head sing along with it, as he and I used to do a lot when we were either driving to the mountains or from Boulder to Fish Creek when I was growing up. My dad was very instrumental in making me the man that I am, his words of advice and how he did things and said things I'll always remember, I know that we didn't have the BEST father/son relationship but it was as close to perfect as you can get, I know there were times i made him mad but i also know there were MANY times that i made him PROUD, too numerous to mention. I guess i have a lot of my dad in me, i dont like sitting around for long periods of time, and like him I am very opinionated. My best friend says I'm as stubborn as a kick-a** mule the stubbornness comes from my dad, to which I am very grateful for. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him, and miss him all the more, but i know he's up there smiling on me, and guiding me along, Love you dad forever and Always and miss you more than you'll know!!! Your son, Doug :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your memories of David Boyd.